Re: [Usability] Can't Handle it anymore! (Consistent toolbars?)

On Wed, 2005-30-03 at 21:11 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > (Look at Muine (which is not my application), for an example;
> > http://muine.gooeylinux.org/muine.png )
>
> I assume that Muine is not still using a row of buttons rather than a
> toolbar as shown in the screenshot?

As per 0.82 (latest release) Muine still has the row of buttons.

> > I admit that I implemented the same even though expecting the HIG to
> > recommend against it, however, I just checked back and haven't found
> > that explicitly stated there.
>
> I'll have to ask for an update to the HIG and probably also bring it up on
> desktop-devel or gnome-list (if you have an opinion on what the most
> appropriate list would feel free to tell me.

Once the HIG is updated it's only a matter of confronting developers,
I'd go for the d-d-l.

> > http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=16301
> >
> > Of course, the handle is still there, but it doesn't look that way. You
> > can still tell from the spacing though, this is also only possible with
> > some of the theme engines.
>
> I does reinforce the suggestion that there is a problem if people are
> going so far as to try and hide the the handle box using themes.

Actually the main intention of the theme was to hide the toolbox border
completely (not only the handle) to make the buttons feel integrated
into the window rather than items grouped into a separate box, so the
handle was probably just a minor issue.
The handle preference is actually pretty easily discoverable and I don't
know how I happened to miss it. I guess back then the thought of this
being configurable didn't even pass my mind.

So if there is a problem then IMO it is only the default state of the
handle option. I would personally prefer to deactivate it because I
believe that at least 90% of the users will likely never use handles
anyway. It also makes it more unlikely that inconsistencies are exposed
to the user.

-Samuel
|      Samuel Abels       |   http://www.debain.org    |
| spam ad debain dod org  | knipknap ad jabber dod org |