Re: [Usability] any menu editor suggestions?

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 00:52 +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 26.03.2005, 00:37 +0100 schrieb Martin Ejdestig:
> > In Calum's design proposals, your first GME release and early version of
> > my own unreleased (and will probably stay so since you beat me to it :-)
> > menu editor (heavily based on Calum's design) there was no "delete
> > application" button. Monitoring if the exe of applications dropped in
> > the window is removed and then remove the entry would be a neat way to
> > avoid adding one.
>
> What if a user just mistyped the name of his application and wants to
> change it?

There was no way to type the name of the exe in the editor. If you mean
he named his exe wrong and renames it... well, the entry is removed (by
removed I mean really removed, not just not displayed), he drops the exe
with the correct name in the window, drops icon and he's done.

> I think modification/removal of existing entries should be
> possible. In a private correspondence with Calum he suggested to add the
> remove button at some point

As you said, things seems to have changed quite a bit (edit dialog and
what not) so I don't really know what I'm talking about and if it's
still a neat idea to have auto removal if exe doesn't exist for custom
entries.

>  and suggested to add a possibility to set
> application icons from files or images for a particular menu entry by
> dragging it onto them.

Me too, remember? :)

> > > People who don't use packaging systems to install apps have been and are
> > > still on their own.
> >
> > I think we'll see more and more _end user_ binary only LSB, Mono, Java,
> > Python, ... apps not available as a package for every distro in the
> > world as Linux on the desktop grows.
>
> Maybe; but don't we only care for the 95% of the users who use Ubuntu,
> Debian, RH, SuSE or Mandrake, all distros with excellent packaging;

My guess is that most proprietary programs won't be released with
packages for 5 different distros. But it's a moot point since you
already implemented dnd of exes and there is "put file in
~/.local/share/applications".

I'm dropping this thread for now and will get back to you when I've
tried out what's in CVS.

Martin
--
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~mejde