Re: [Usability] any menu editor suggestions?

Am Samstag, den 26.03.2005, 00:37 +0100 schrieb Martin Ejdestig:
> In Calum's design proposals, your first GME release and early version of
> my own unreleased (and will probably stay so since you beat me to it :-)
> menu editor (heavily based on Calum's design) there was no "delete
> application" button. Monitoring if the exe of applications dropped in
> the window is removed and then remove the entry would be a neat way to
> avoid adding one.

What if a user just mistyped the name of his application and wants to
change it? I think modification/removal of existing entries should be
possible. In a private correspondence with Calum he suggested to add the
remove button at some point and suggested to add a possibility to set
application icons from files or images for a particular menu entry by
dragging it onto them. I think this sounds very nice, I just have to
accustom to the (in this respect a bit weird) GtkTreeView API that
allows to add image drop targets.
On a sidenote: I'm very uncomfortable with the current icon choosing
solutions: The upstream file chooser is an UI nightmare and
EggIconChooser is broken, I'm getting warnings like
"`default-size-changed' is invalid for instance `0x100944d0'" [*].

> > People who don't use packaging systems to install apps have been and are
> > still on their own.
>
> I think we'll see more and more _end user_ binary only LSB, Mono, Java,
> Python, ... apps not available as a package for every distro in the
> world as Linux on the desktop grows.

Maybe; but don't we only care for the 95% of the users who use Ubuntu,
Debian, RH, SuSE or Mandrake, all distros with excellent packaging;
there have been some attempts to solve installation of user-specific
applications, and they probably all involve installing applications into
~/.local/share/applications, but that's not our problem, really :).

[*] James? :)

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>