Re: [Usability] Feedback on UI design, please.

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 07:48 +0100, Leif wrote:
> I have created a homepage for the project at my homepage.
> http://www.zuu.info/goto.php?page=learnwords
This is difficult to read with my white-on-black setup, because your
page specifies a white background color but does not specify a color for
the text: my text is by default also white.  One should always specify
foreground *and* background, or neither one.

> and then have a look at my UI designs:
> http://www.zuu.info/test/file/layout_demo.tar.gz

In diaTest and diaRandomWords, you have the Close button on the right:
the button on the right ought to be the primary action, in this case
"Correct word".  Also, it's "Very Difficult" not "Verry Difficullt".

I notice you've left the separators in the dialogs: it's quite common to
set "Has Separator" to false, even though it defaults to true in glade
(I can't remember what the HIG says about this).

In diaDialogPreferences, the labels for the check boxes are much too
long.  Consider using shorter descriptions, with explanatory tooltips.
Alternatively, reconsider whether the preferences are necessary at all:
is there a reason that the user wouldn't always want to see all the
synonyms?  You might consider a single checkbox: "Show all synonyms",
which chooses whether the user sees a single translation or all of them.

In diaResults, the "Create new word book..." button should be written
with title capitalisation "Create New Word...", and it should not have a
terminating period.  Seriously consider shortening the label to
something like "Create New Word Book", or simply "Save Words".  If it's
a saving operation, you should call it saving.

John