Re: [Usability] Feedback on UI design, please.

Hi,

John Spray wrote:
On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 07:48 +0100, Leif wrote:

I have created a homepage for the project at my homepage.
http://www.zuu.info/goto.php?page=learnwords

This is difficult to read with my white-on-black setup, because your
page specifies a white background color but does not specify a color for
the text: my text is by default also white.  One should always specify
foreground *and* background, or neither one.

I'm sorry, I didn't thought of that. Thank you for telling me. I will fix that.

and then have a look at my UI designs:
http://www.zuu.info/test/file/layout_demo.tar.gz

In diaTest and diaRandomWords, you have the Close button on the right:
the button on the right ought to be the primary action, in this case
"Correct word".

That is true, "Correct word" will be the primary action. But on the other hand doesn't close use to reside in the right corner.

> Also, it's "Very Difficult" not "Verry Difficullt".

Thanks

I notice you've left the separators in the dialogs: it's quite common to
set "Has Separator" to false, even though it defaults to true in glade
(I can't remember what the HIG says about this).

I neither remember what HIG says about this, but it says that often space is a better separator than lines.

In diaDialogPreferences, the labels for the check boxes are much too
long.  Consider using shorter descriptions, with explanatory tooltips.
Alternatively, reconsider whether the preferences are necessary at all:
is there a reason that the user wouldn't always want to see all the
synonyms?  You might consider a single checkbox: "Show all synonyms",
which chooses whether the user sees a single translation or all of them.

I know that the labels for the check boxes are way to long, so I will probably combine them to one option "auto resize" or similar.

First the reason why I wanted to make the table autoresizable is that I don't want to set a fixed limit on how many synonyms you can enter. Secondly if the table is to big, you would have to press tab way to many times to reach the Add button. But when you open an existing book and browse it you want to see all synonyms, no matter how big table you used when you entered words earlier.

But thanks to your question I got another idea, make the table one row longer, than used entries. Then it wont take ages to tab to "Add" and you will never need to manually resize it.

In diaResults, the "Create new word book..." button should be written
with title capitalisation "Create New Word...", and it should not have a
terminating period.
Thanks, I'll fix that.

> Seriously consider shortening the label to
something like "Create New Word Book", or simply "Save Words".  If it's
a saving operation, you should call it saving.

My idea was that a new instance of the program will be created with that word book, so that you don't nececcary need to save it.

But I will see if can shorten it a bit.

John

Again, thanks four your feedback!

Leif Linse (Zuu)