Re: [Usability] gedit's Save A Copy

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Kalle Vahlman wrote:

> Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:25:51 +0200
> From: Kalle Vahlman <kalle vahlman gmail com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] gedit's Save A Copy
>
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:01:09 +0100, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 17:11 -0800, Kirk Bridger wrote:
> > > Save A Copy == Save A Copy As A New File
> >
> > Making a new file usually leaves you editing that new file.
> >
> > Save As A New File And Continue In The Old File
> >
> > is more appropriate, which is why I think it's confusing.
>
> Since the concept of saving seems to be one that becomes confusing
> here, perhaps it should be left out?

I really do not think this should be changed and should be left as "Save a
Copy".  The HIG mentiones "Save a Copy" and there is concensus on how it
is supposed to work.  The Gedit version of "Save a Copy" works how we
expect it to work.

Chaning the label to something else increases inconsisantency and
potential confusion for no significant benefit but bad for the Gnome
Desktop as a whole.

I would reiterate my previous calls for more stock items [1], as they
provide a way to centralise these standard widgets.  If people later
decide that a different label would somehow be better they only need to be
changed in one place (and we can avoid ugliness like the Save Confirmation
Dialog in future).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

[1] More GTK stock items