Re: [Usability] Interacting with open folders, part 2.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:18:35 +0100, Maurizio Colucci
<seguso forever tin it> wrote:
> What we need IMO is
>
> 1. Introduce a way to act on the open folder itself. Mind you: not only to
> drag it, but also to copy it, move it, delete it, create a link to it, etc.
> Simply adding a drag handle is not enough.

I just had the idea of turning the window into a folder when dragging
the window and pressing a modifier key. So you would grab the window
by its title and press say CTRL down and the window "shrinks" to a
normal folder drag icon with the normal effects of folder dragging
(copy/move, modifier to pop-up the list of choices and so on). If you
release the CTRL but not the mouse button, the window would revert to
normal.

I do realize that the modifier keys are already more or less occupied
(SHIFT and ALT at least), but maybe this would be a candidate for the
mostly unused window key. And before anyone cries "undiscoverable!",
the modifier keys always are.

But that does not mean we should not use them at all.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi