Re: [Usability] Interacting with open folders, part 2.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:18:35 +0100, Maurizio Colucci
<seguso forever tin it> wrote:
> What we need IMO is
> 1. Introduce a way to act on the open folder itself. Mind you: not only to
> drag it, but also to copy it, move it, delete it, create a link to it, etc.
> Simply adding a drag handle is not enough.

I just had the idea of turning the window into a folder when dragging
the window and pressing a modifier key. So you would grab the window
by its title and press say CTRL down and the window "shrinks" to a
normal folder drag icon with the normal effects of folder dragging
(copy/move, modifier to pop-up the list of choices and so on). If you
release the CTRL but not the mouse button, the window would revert to

I do realize that the modifier keys are already more or less occupied
(SHIFT and ALT at least), but maybe this would be a candidate for the
mostly unused window key. And before anyone cries "undiscoverable!",
the modifier keys always are.

But that does not mean we should not use them at all.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi