Re: Workspaces [Re: [Usability] nautilus, panel, and metacity not acting as if the desktop was a single entity]

On 15.7.2005, at 18.37, Phil Bull wrote:
On 7/13/05, Eric Larson <elarson novell com> wrote:
But, I do think that pushing the user to consider grouping their
applications would be a worthwhile task to gain the advantages
of workspaces.

This is just introducing extra window-management workload for the
user, and I'm not sure the advantages will outweigh this disadvantage

Depending how this is to be done, I see this as a great risk as well. One thing I would encourage it is within application windows though. I've had some several problems with versions of gimp that use four slots/boxes/whatever for its menus.

App grouping is potentially a pretty rigid organisational concept (as
mentioned before, group-by-task or group-by-type), so I'm not sure if
everyone will enjoy using it. I mean, look what happened with spatial
nautilus...not all users like it, so their desktop experience has, to
them, been degraded. Just because you like one way of working and it
suits you doesn't mean other others will, and this has always been the
problem with user interface design.

I might be slaughtered by this and thought as a heretic for questioning this users are always right. Not that you claim so, but many of my usability teachers and tutors from the past have.

First, there is resistance among the users to part from what they are used to. So, if you make a study with something and one of the options is quite similar to what the users have got used to, they are likely to prefer that one. Even if the other would be better in a bit longer term. Of course, there is a great risk with that too, since if you think you know better and in reality it doesn't work...

I've had a few experiences where user studies have shown the results that certain functionality should be included in a certain program and not to be an independent utility. However, the whole technology and concept was new to these users, so the common rules were/are not valid in this particular case. I'm afraid I can not speak more about that one till the first half of next year, but I brought it up just to mention that many these things depend on quite a few things.

On the other hand, multiple workspaces are nothing more than
"additional space", which is basically a dead-simple concept.

Just to note, I am agreeing with this one, in a way that it is too similar. In fact, it does not really solve anything with the pagers and lists of what programs there are active and how to identify them. One of the biggest pains I have is that the windows identify themselves by text, which means that once you have multiple windows your problems grow bigger and you end up wasting screen space or needing the workspaces. In a way I feel they are not solving the problem but treating it to some extent.

I don't have that good solution to it either, since text is horizontal element. Images might work for some, but icon design would not be my cup of tea.

I would like to offer at least that much, that different helper windows within an application would be treated as one. I am not sure what to think of documents, those are something that I could imagine easily clutter the window lists, but then those are ones that would be of interest to the user.

-JK