Re: Workspaces [Re: [Usability] nautilus, panel, and metacity not acting as if the desktop was a single entity]

On 13/07/05, BJörn Lindqvist <bjourne gmail com> wrote:
> > As far as I am concerned you have gone
> > beyond the ordinary user when you start using Workspaces and you are in
> > power user territority.

Although I'm not inclined to totally disagree with that claim, I'm
weary to accept it as a totally true statement either because I have
seen "ordinary users" switch from task-bar based window management to
workspaced based window management. My girlfriend, on her OSX, for
example, uses Desktop Manager all the time. However, all she does with
the laptop is browse the web, check her emails, and occasionally play
a few rounds of WarCraft III -- very much the typical non-power-user.
And it wasn't something a power-user had to spend time teaching her
either; she started to use it on her own after noticing it being used
by her friends.

Granted, that is only one example, and the above mentioned "friends"
consists almost entirely of hackers and geeks. However, it still
contradicts the idea that workspaces is entirely of the realm of
power-users.