Re: [Usability] Fold'n'drop

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 17:23 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> One somewhat obvious problem with the "throw away" portion of the window
> folding, is that with optical mice, you might move the mouse over some
> small partical, and then the cursor gets thrown to the edge of the
> screen, making the software think you were just slinging the window off
> of the desktop.

Not to mention, hard to control input devices such as tablets, touch
pads, and those little nubby things on laptops. I'd also worry about RSI
problems arising from overuse of the wrist for this.

However, this would be an awesome gesture for hand-helds and tablet-like
laptops, where manipulating a pointer over the screen directly is very
straightforward, and screen real estate is limited, at best.

Really though, drag and drop already fixes this problem by (effectively)
single-clicking when held still long enough over the application list,
workspace selector, nautilus windows, and desktop button. However, the
applications/places menu, and window selector lack this.

Cute, but ultimately not too exciting, definitely some potential for
pen-and-screen type hardware though.

Spring-loaded folders would be really useful in nautilus, especially
considering how deep user-made hierarchies can go. But that's just my
personal opinion.

-Jason