Re: [Usability] Fold'n'drop

On 7/20/05, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:

> On 20 Jul 2005, at 07:50, Roberto Rosselli Del Turco wrote:
>
> > http://liihs.irit.fr/dragice/foldndrop/
> >
> > What do you think of this? I find it quite intuitive and effective
> > (watch the video!).
>
> It's certainly a cute effect, although it doesn't really seem to
> offer many advantages over (say) Apple's spring loaded folders.  Like
> those, it relies on being able to see at least part of the windows
> you want to manipulate or drop into, which has always seemed to me
> like the main failing of drag and drop in file managers.  More often
> than not, *I* want to drag things into windows, or even folders, that
> I haven't opened/created yet :)

Why does it depend on seeing a part of the window? The idea seems to
be that you can move away every visible window, so you can easily
access what's below it. I tried the Java demo and it works really
well.
I don't think windows should completely disappear though, because it
seems non-obvious what to do if the user accidentally moved away the
actual target (or source) window.

Daniel