Re: [Usability] Will this replace gnome-cd too? (was Sound Juicer 2 mockup comments)

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Logan Rathbone wrote:

> Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:50:49 -0500
> From: Logan Rathbone <logan rathbone utoronto ca>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Will this replace gnome-cd too? (was Sound
>     Juicer 2 mockup comments)
>
> I just had a general question about this whole thing -- will Sound Juicer 2 replace gnome-cd, making it obsolete?
>
> If not, then what would be the point of having two GNOME apps that can play CDs?

"Do one thing well"

It is easier for some users to have an application just for playing CDs,
it is a lot simpler and more obvious.  (Don't think just of beginners but
also users who only infrequently play CDs on their computer for various
reasons.)  Maybe some people want a single media player that does
everything but I do sometimes prefer tools suited to the task at hand.

Consistancy and stability.

Some of the developers seem determined to kill off the old CD player and
get rid of it but I'd prefer to see it left in place for users who were
happy enough using it but I expect the GNOME developers will punt this
responsibility to the distributions to add it back in if they really want.
(I know I was unimpressed when Microsoft changed their CD player for
windows 2000 and didn't see fit to leave the old CD player somewhere.)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

Inkscape, Draw Freely  http://inkscape.org