Re: [Usability] How should an editor behave when it comes to search and replace?

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Markus Bertheau wrote:

> Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:45:18 +0100
> From: Markus Bertheau <twanger bluetwanger de>
> To: Paolo Borelli <pborelli katamail com>
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] How should an editor behave when it comes to
>     search and replace?
>
> У Пнд, 2005-01-03 у 20:20 +0100, Paolo Borelli пише:
> > Il giorno lun, 03-01-2005 alle 15:42 +0100, Markus Bertheau ha scritto:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm writing a continuous-save, mom-friendly and plugin free text editor
> > > for GNOME.
> >
> > Hi Markus, while I understand your desire to write your own project I
> > want to point out the we would welcome new contributors to gedit (the
> > text editor included in GNOME).
>
> Of course you do, who does not :) I don't like the hassle C provides me
> with; C's on a too low level to do UI programming in my opinion.
> Sorry :)
>
> > Being "Mom-friendly" is definately one of the goals of gedit and
> > autosaving is already implemented.
>
> Be aware that the autosaving you probably have in mind and implemented
> is different from what I mean with continuous save. First and foremost,

It is an interesting idea and although people keep suggesting it I'll feel
much better when there are a few more implmentations out there,
particularly when someone tries it with a much more complicated
application than a text editor.

I assume you are already familiar with other applications like the Sticky
Notes panel applet and Tomboy.

- Alan H