Re: Stock Page Setup [was Re: [Usability] Stock Items: forming a plan of sorts]

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 12:24 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
> I think abiword has an icon for page setup, with a picture of a page
> and printer on it (but I dont have abiword on this machine so I'm not
> sure).

Yes, it appears to be identical to the Print icon.

>From the usability perspective, I've never really understood why 'Page
Setup' exists.  Why aren't all the printing-related settings in the
Print dialog (for Abiword, at least some are duplicated there)?  Or if a
word processor needs more control of formatting than the print dialog
has, wouldn't those go into a Format - Page or the like.

After writing that, I note that Abiword's 'File - Page Setup' is in fact
the same dialog that you get from 'Format - Document'.  OpenOffice has
no Page Setup.  Gedit has one, and it looks to me like things I would
expect to be in Preferences.

Just my two cents.

Bng

--