Re: [Usability] Re: [Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 11:25 pm, Rodney Dawes worote
> On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 18:56 +0100, Mateusz �oskot wrote:
>> Ross Burton wrote:
>> >
>> > That's not correct, nautilus is integrated into GNOME as it's the
>> > default desktop and file manager.
>>
>> And IMHO this integration is a problem.
>
> Not really. Nautilus can be completely done away with, and GNOME in
> general will still function quite happily.

I've not tried but I suppose it's not so straightforward as you are saying.

>> > If someone wants to run an
>> > alternative, there is no reason why that isn't possible.
>>
>> I didn't say it isn't possible, but running alternate file manager
>> Nautilus integration to GNOME desktop is still present. What for?
>
> You didn't completely remove Nautilus then. It's probably still in your
> session and still controlling the icons on the desktop. If you want a
> different file manager to do this, you will have to configure Nautilus
> to not do it.

OK, I will try to do so.

> Having said all that... What does the file manager have to do with the
> print dialog? If you want to start a new thread, please start a new
> thread. Diverging an existing thread for your own purposes is rude, and
> makes it difficult to read the original thread, or yours, as the two
> become quite intertwined. Ironic for someone complaining about how the
> Nautilus file manager is so heavily integrated. :)

I understand but I replied not to printing dialog but the more general
topic Linus' started, parallely in the same post.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Łoskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net