Hack away with Nautilus! (Re: [Usability] Alternatives to nautilus for two paned file management)

Am Montag, den 19.12.2005, 09:54 +0000 schrieb Richard Hebert:
> I have followed the threads about Gnome with interrest.
> I share a lot of views with the members here.
> For two paned file managers i looked a lot and found
> a few. I dont like to use them , but Nautilus's team is
> insensitive to their users.I dont know who runs that box
> but since the beginning i hated it. GMC was a way better
> manager imho.Faster,lighter and did all i needed it to do.
> When they switched to Nautilus i really started to have
> trouble with Gnome.
>

> Anyways  :
> for a two paned file manager check this one.
>
> http://xnc.dubna.su/  that's XNorthernCaptain.
> i havent had trouble with it .. works nicely.
>

> I got trouble with Gnome the way it's gone the past few years.
> The way of " we know better than our users what they want "
> has given me no choice but to look at the alternatives.
> Not that i like it one bit.Perhaps Linus is right ..
> KDE seems like an alternative.Though it's hard for me
> to wave goodbye to Gnome ..
>
> If Gnome is to survive a radical change is needed.
> Kicking whole teams/projects out of it like nautilus and a radical
> change in philosophy.Why not start by listening to their users ?
>
> I have lost hope to see Gnome evolve in a direction that
> will allow me to enjoy it.Looks like a few hours of KDE debug
> ( wont start atm ) might be paying off ..

I don't think that a previously discussed and ironed out more
sophisticated extension framework will be rejected. It would be nice to
have some more high-level APIs/hooks like Epiphany has. I've also read a
bug request today where a user requests terminal integration. We just
don't have to enable/ship it by default, and as long as the wrapper
layer is cleanly designed and doesn't cause new mess and design
headache, I think Alex and the rest of the Nautilus maintainer team is
also open to your ideas.

As a starting point, we might have to add support for multiple content
views to NautilusWindow, add get_active_contents_view API and maybe tune
the menu layout. I think this is really doable with the current Nautilus
architecture. :)

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>