Re: [Usability] Alternatives to nautilus for two paned file management

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:54:22AM +0000, Richard Hebert wrote:

> For two paned file managers i looked a lot and found
> a few. I dont like to use them , but Nautilus's team is
> insensitive to their users.I dont know who runs that box
> but since the beginning i hated it. GMC was a way better
> manager imho.Faster,lighter and did all i needed it to do.
> When they switched to Nautilus i really started to have
> trouble with Gnome.

Just because Nautilus is not a two-paned file manager doesn't mean that
Nautilus developer's are not listening to their users. Would you claim
that Nautilus developer's aren't listening to their users if they would
refuse to implement an Tetris clone to be played inside Nautilus?

If you want to have a two-paned file manager that is tightly intergrated
into GNOME, either find someone to write it for you or write it
yourself. I am sure that such a file manager would be a viable
alternative to Nautilus, but I also believe that it is out of scope of
Nautilus development.

> If Gnome is to survive a radical change is needed.

Currently I see no indication that GNOME is dying.

> Kicking whole teams/projects out of it like nautilus and a radical
> change in philosophy.Why not start by listening to their users ?

Do you have any proof that "GNOME is not listening to their users",
except anecdotal evidence that sometimes features are rejected (often
for good reasons) or not implemented (often for lack of manpower)?

 - Sebastian