Re: [Usability] Escape Closing Dialog

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Simon Francis wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 05:21:42 -0500
> From: Simon Francis <thejello gmail com>
> To: Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Escape Closing Dialog
>
> Thats stupid,

Telling people what they are currently doing is stupid is more likely to
make them dig in and refuse to change than to get results you actually
want.

However I am also unclear on the rationale behind this.  When I hit Esc I
want to escape, and to stop, cancel or close the current dialog in the
safest most non destructive manner possible.

I have a fair idea where my expectations have come from on this issue.
Anyone have detailed information on how Microsoft does this and why?

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com