Re: [Usability] New Pathbar

On 23 Aug, 2005, at 1:07 PM, Owen Williams wrote:
The current methods to reveal hidden files and get a location entry were completely undiscoverable for me. I only found out about them by
reading this mailing list.  There's not even a help icon in the file
selector that could be used to figure this out.

An icon-only pull-down menu could be placed above the right side of the list, containing these commands.

I like the idea of adding a location bar and making the folder names
clickable. Users are used to seeing text-based location bars when web
browsing.

Which is one of the Web's worst aspects. "In principle, users should not need to know about URLs which are a machine-level addressing scheme." <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990321.html>

As the user scrubs the mouse over the names, the underline
will appear and the mouse cursor will change, signalling a clickable
element.  Again this is feedback learned when browsing the web.

Only on a minority of pages that are very badly designed. People "shouldn't have to guess or scrub the page to find out where they can click" <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20040510.html>.

Advanced users could go a step further and edit the text directly,

It would be rather annoying trying to edit text where clicking on the part you wanted to change opened another folder.

at which point tab completion becomes useful.

You can already do completion in the listing itself. You don't even need to use the Tab key.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/