Re: [Usability] The ``Replace File'' dialog should display the two file sizes, times, etc.

Am Donnerstag, den 04.08.2005, 11:54 +0200 schrieb Diego Moya:
> Well done, it's a clean and simple dialog with all the required functions.
>

> On 04/08/05, Corey Burger <corey burger gmail com> wrote:
> > 2. Better words for Candidate and Original (which is original?)
>

> This other proposal had "New file" and "Existing file":
>
> http://www.geocities.com/philbull_tk/gnome_dlg_mockup.png
>
> ...which work much better. But then "New file" conflicts with "newer
> and bigger". You could use "copied/moved file" instead of "new file"
> or "original file".

"Original" could be replaced by "Existing" and "Candidate" with
"Copied/moved file" (or rather "File to be moved/copied"?).

> So "bigger and newer than original" means "existing file is bigger and
> newer than the file being copied/moved" i.e. "if you overwrite, you
> now will have a file smaller and older".

This sounds totally broken and inconvinient. You force people to perform
NOT operations.

> You should reverse this order. If the text says "bigger and newer" and
> you overwrite, you should end with a file bigger and newer.

Exactly. That's what my proposal does. The toggle button is checked by
default if active by default if the size of the file to be copied is
bigger than the size of the original ("existing") file. Dunno whether
that's the right condition, we have to check this.

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>