Re: [Usability] spatial nautilus options (was spatial nautilus concerns)

On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 02:14 -0400, Logan Rathbone wrote:

> I would like to make it clear that I am in no way a die-hard spatial
> freak -- I totally agree that some usability studies are in order so
> that we can find out precisely how many types of people (read: not
> just experienced computer (read: Windows) users).  I think that if the
> vast majority of users prefer one method over another, then that
> method should be the default, and the alternative should be put in
> gconf-editor so that the minority can switch if they really want to.
> If we have a 50/50 split, with slightly more people preferring method
> A over B, then A should be default, but B should be well-presented as
> an alternative in the preferences.

It's really not the best poll, but FootNotes' poll seems to indicate
that they're almost the same, but with about a 5% or so preference for
Navigational over spatial.

http://www.gnomedesktop.org/pollBooth.php?pollID=56

> > <snip>...can't figure out how to turn off the toolbar with all the
> > navigation buttons in it. Can I do that somehow?
>
> I'm not sure about that one, I looked too, and I couldn't find a way
> to do so either.

I believe there was a thread about this on Nautilus-list a little while
ago. The toolbar hiding feature was considered cruft from pre-2.6's
psuedo-spatial mode, and was considered unnecessary now that there was a
genuine spatial interface.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2004-May/msg00031.html