Re: [Usability] spatial nautilus concerns

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 10:32 -0400, Mike Chavoustie wrote:

> I disagree for the same reason that David does -- I like the simplicity
> of the spatial windows but don't need/want to have each window open on
> its own.  I understand the one-to-one metaphor, but on the same token I
> don't understand how opening the next folder in the same window breaks
> it.

It breaks it because the *entire* concept of *Spatial* navigation
requires that each folder always appear in the same place and same size
as it did before.  If you take away that property, it isn't spatial
anymore.

The classic example is driving instruction.  I cannot tell you how to
get to most of the places I go.  I don't know the names of the streets,
I don't know how many stop lights you have to go through, I don't know
how many miles/kilometers you must go down each road, I don't even know
really what major landmarks there are where you have to turn.

When I drive those roads, though, I know when to turn and where to go
without even thinking about it.  I don't read street signs, I don't look
for describable landmarks... I just know.

That's what spatial navigation is all about.  You don't think *how* you
get to your file, you don't follow a set of steps.  You just know that
you click here, and then you click there, and then over here.

As soon as your windows are no longer spatial, but instead always pop up
in the same window, you lose the property of spatial navigation that
makes it spatial and makes it work - the fact that folder windows always
appear in the same place at the same size with the same view.
Navigation becomes dependent on the properties of the window you're
currently using.  Each time you open a folder, you cannot simply
navigate it using the part of your brain that excels at spatial
manipulation, but you must use the part of your brain that is far weaker
- the part that remembers names and icons and such that you need to look
for in order to navigate where you're going.

If you just want a "simple window" that isn't spatial, turn on browser
mode and turn off all the toolbars.  Don't confuse that with spatial
mode, though.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.