Re: [Usability] spatial nautilus concerns

David Feldman wrote:

If empirical testing is underway, I apologize for my lengthy message...I haven't heard anything and feel pretty strongly about this. I started feeling strongly when I read the Ars Technica article, mostly because of the number of broad claims it makes about usability without any real support. But it goes beyond that. Linux, in large part due to the efforts of the GNOME community, is becoming a viable alternative to Windows for more and more users. I'm really excited about that, and the more it gets right the more excited I am. As more and more nontechnical users make the switch, the cost of making fundamental changes to the user experience rises, so the time to make such changes is now. GNOME has implemented all the functionality required by pretty much any permutation or hybrid of the spatial and navigation metaphors, so the question becomes one of choosing the right default settings rather than a lot of development time. Empirical methods such as usability testing work. So why not apply them and make sure we've got it right?

I also suggest usability testing to support the spatial model with some imperical evidence.

In the meantime, a modest proposal that doesn't change the default but provides flexibility to users and developers: Decouple the "open in same window" option from the "always use browser window" option. Then users (like me) who want to stick with the more minimal window style but would like folders to open in the same window can set things up that way. (Similarly, users who mostly want the spatial metaphor but also want the browser functionality at their fingertips can leave "open in same window" off but enable the browser.)

Open in same window and the Tree belong together in my opinion. It just doesn´t make much sense to use them separately. The other advantage of combining the options is that a user who sees a spatial window knows that a new window will open with left click. If he sees a browser window he knows a click opens the new folder in the same window.

What I did not like in the first spatial versions were the many windows on the screen. But in recent nautilus versions (2.8) you can use middle click to open the new folder in a new window while closing the current window. Even when moving up in the tree again you can keep with only one window. The advantage compared to open in same window is
that the spatial principles still work.

The only thing I would change in the default is to change open folders to single click. While double click is default in windows especially novice users have big problems with doing a double click. Either they don´t manage it at all or they move the cursor causing a drag. Especially the double middle click is very difficult. Even more so when the mouse has a wheel for the middle button. While changing the setting is only one little step novice users will take some time to find this option. Advanced users who don´t like single click will find the setting easier.

Another nice thing would be an up button in the lower left of spatial windows so you can easier
do the most comon thing when moving up in the tree - moving up one level.

greets

Christian Schneider

http://www.liquid-reality.de