Re: [Usability] Removing GNOME splash screens?

Reading the messages I think we can get to an agreement, everyone
thinks that just showing a hourglass(win xp way) is worse than what we
have now, and I can also agree with that. But I think that the
splashscreen is not perfect either. In my view we could keep the
splashscreen but exchange the icons for a progress meter and following
the Gnome HIG with that, that is, showing the applications use and not
their names (starting window manager, starting file browser...), or
choosing other more intuitive names. Also I think we should make it
optional for each distribution to choose to show it or not and also
writing somewhere (dbus i think) that it is loading so the
distributions can put the information on their graphical bootsplash
and only change to x when gnome has finished loading (this is if gdm
is configured with autoload).