Re: [Usability] Removing GNOME splash screens?

begin  quote
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:05:29 -0700
Nadyne Mielke <nmielke acm org> wrote:

> At 05:28 PM 10/20/2004, Kirk Bridger wrote:
> >I just wanted to mention that if we're looking at alternatives to the
> >splash screen, I believe that a progress bar is better than an
> >hourglass cursor.  The progress bar shows PROGRESS, while the cursor
> >just shows that the computer is busy doing something ... anything.
> >The progress bar is more informative, and much easier to interpret
> >and see.
>
> The guidelines for the commericial product on which I work say that an
> > hourglass should be used if the delay is less than 2 seconds, and a
> progress bar otherwise.  Do note that this guideline is used in my
> Real  Job, which isn't currently in the open source world; IMHO, it's
> a reasonable guideline anyway.

YES!
I -seriously- loathe the "change the mouse pointer to some animated
hourglass while we wait for Epiphany/mozilla/evolution to get its act
together  on my slower work-machines.

Its -horrid- since I have to wait for the complete loading across
network (root on NFS)  and the machine isn't very fast. (via C3, Realtek
nic so almost everything is in software, straining the poor beast)

Theese things appear strange, frustrating and confusing, since its a
looong time where it just stands there, rolling its hourglass and
waiting for something without anything else happening.

The splashscreen is quite necessary in this case, and just the fact that
OpenOffice takes almost as long to show its splashscreen as the time the
splashscreen is visible shows that something is going wrong. Badly so,
in how things are implemented there.

Splashscreens, progressmeeters are -good- .  preferrably with some
identifying text, rather than an obscure icon.  Even when you have a
meter, the text is good since it tells you something of what is
happening, rather than a dumb stop at 80% ... (why does it always stop
there?)

Fex,  Kernel bootups with graphical interfaces.
Another of those "things" where you show a cute progressbar and things
just stop 30% through.  nothing.  Just standing there, making a user
think its crashed (yes, if the progressmeter usually moves rapidly, and
then stops for 30-60 seconds, the machine has hard-locked and has to be
rebooted. )  in reality, the NIC wasn't plugged in and it was just
waiting for DHCP to show up or time-out.

An explaining line of text is a good thing in such cases.

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
Tortured users / Laughing in pain