Re: [Usability] Removing GNOME splash screens?

At 05:28 PM 10/20/2004, Kirk Bridger wrote:
I just wanted to mention that if we're looking at alternatives to the
splash screen, I believe that a progress bar is better than an hourglass
cursor.  The progress bar shows PROGRESS, while the cursor just shows
that the computer is busy doing something ... anything.
The progress bar is more informative, and much easier to interpret and
see.

The guidelines for the commericial product on which I work say that an hourglass should be used if the delay is less than 2 seconds, and a progress bar otherwise. Do note that this guideline is used in my Real Job, which isn't currently in the open source world; IMHO, it's a reasonable guideline anyway.

/nm