Re: [Usability] Volume Control Consistency between Rhythmbox and Totem

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 14:19 +0000, Thomas Conneely wrote:
> although this might be a good idea, couldn't it get confusing, if I am
> running a few audio applications (for sound engineering) this could get
> very confusing. Perhaps a slider affecting all MP3s/oggs, a slider for
> movies (ie DVDs and mpegs) and then a seperate slider for system sounds
> (i.e gaim). This would require applications to register the type of
> output with gnome before beginning playback (thus creating problems for
> programmer as to what type of audio output) but allows grouping of
> "volume types".

I like the idea of having the volume control centralized, with each
running app registering itself.

I think that using the application name (eg., "Music Player") for the
control is appropriately usable without making the situation overly
complicated.  Registering the "type" seems like a complicated situation
for a rare use case (having multiple music players at the same time),
and recreates the master volume problem (if I am for some reason
listening to 3 music sources at once, I want to control their individual
volumes, not just the "volume of all music players")

A specialized app like a music mixer, could register its master volume
"Music Mixer" as well as provide its own UI for fine grained control.

-Brian

--
Brian P. Skahan <bskahan etria com>
Etria, LLP