Re: [Usability] Volume Control Consistency between Rhythmbox and Totem

On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 19:58 +0200, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Hello Steven,
>
> > Anyone have any suggestions for a standard? I understand that the UI in
> > Rhythmbox (and perhaps Totem as well) is still being worked on. I
> > thought I would post here to Gnome-Usability first to see what others
> > thought.
>
> Thanks for bringing this up.
>
> My solution to this is simple: remove the volume controls from both Totem
> and Rhythmbox. The volume panel applet, provided that it's visible by
> default, should be sufficient. IMHO this is less confusing to the user
> w.r.t. when to use which volume control, and how they interact. Currently
> I can set Muine to mute sound while the volume applet still shows three
> "vibrations". Isn't that strange?
>
> If this is too radical, a compromise might be a button (like in Rhythmbox)
> that launches the GNOME mixer.

no :)   (imho)

there are two different things:

global-volume: that's adjusted in the gnome-volume-applet...this is
usually mapped directly to the sound-card (via oss or alsa).it adjusts
the volume-level for all the applications

local-volume: that's adjusted for example in rhythmbox (i'm not sure
about totem). it only changes the volume-level of rhythmbox. so at the
end the volume-level of rhythmbox is something like global-volume *
local-volume...

why is local-volume needed?
imagine you are listening to some music, which is pretty loud.

now someone sends you an icq message, and you nearly become deaf,
because it was so loud...this way you can adjust rhythmbox to be a lot
louder than the other apps.

gabor