Re: [Usability] Arrange taskbar items according to place on screen

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, mm wrote:

> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:36:49 +0100
> From: mm <m menheere gmx net>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] Arrange taskbar items according to place on screen
>
> hi all,
>
> I noticed myself constantly pressing the wrong taskbar item. Souldn't
> the taskbaritems be arranged according to their place on the screen.
> This just doesn't seem logical to me. http://home.wanadoo.nl/sbm/
> Pictures/Screenshot.

It is far simpler to order the applications by the order in which they
were started.  Perhaps ordering them based on location might make sense, I
cant quite put my finger on it but there is something about your
suggestion that I dont think will work but perhaps I just have not given
it enough consideration.  Reordering based on position sounds
complicated and having things move around in the task list migth confuse
people.

I guess there's no harm in asking Alexander Larson (who I believe wrote
the task list) if he would accept a patch that did what you suggest.

To take a slightly different tack have you tried using Expocity
http://www.pycage.de/software_expocity.html
it is similar to Apple TM 'Expose' TM and might be another way to make
window management more to your liking.  (according to Footnotes there was
supposed to be a screenshot on that page but it seems to have gone
missing).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/