Re: [Usability] Downloads recommendation

lör 2003-12-20 klockan 11.00 skrev Marco Pesenti Gritti:
> Hi,

Hi,

> PROBLEMS
>
> - People that organize their downloads in subfolders feel the new
> behavior too slow. They have to remember the name of the file, and use
> the filemanager to move it there.

Is this perhaps something that would be a good thing to have an option
for? In Firebird they now have Autodownload where you can set it to
download automatically to a certain folder. It's not the default there
but I think it should be in GNOME, maybe I will come around eventually
but today it is as I've said before something that bugs me very much
when using Epiphany. I'm constantly afraid of clicking on links these
days because it might fire up other applications, start downloading so
every time I click I prepare to find the download window and click
abort.

Sure, with a "Do you want to save this"-window I still have to click
"No" but I have time to find it before the window goes away and I have
to start looking for the file somewhere in my Download directory.

IMHO it's always bad usability when you make the user have to clean up
after the application guessed wrong what the user wanted to do.

If links looked differently depending on what it lead to this behaviour
would rock, since then you would know what to expect when you clicked on
a link. As I said in my mail to Epiphany list one of three things can
happen now.

1) Opened in the same window (Link was something that Epiphany could
   show).

2) Downloaded to a temporal place and opened by another program.

3) Downloaded to my download directory.

In case it does something that you don't want you only have a fraction
of time to stop it before it's a lot of extra work to stop it. (Clean up
or wait for another program to start only to directly quit it).

How about do something like Shift-click to automatically save to default
directory? Or the other way around (then it could also be used to save
HTML-files), postscript files etc.

The "always open if it can" also makes it hard to download the files if
you want to since you have to right-click->Save as to download which is
much harder than left click, press enter.

IMHO, automatically do something when you are sure about what the user
wants. Otherwise don't do it since it will frustrate the user.

Just some thoughts,
  Mikael Hallendal
--
Mikael Hallendal               micke imendio com
Imendio HB                     http://www.imendio.com