Re: [Usability] Signal editor on glade

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 10:01, Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm redoing the interface of the signal editor on
> glade3.

> The main shortcoming of this interface is that it
> limits the number of signal handers by signal to one,
> when you should be able to attach several signal
> handlers to the same signal.

gconf-editor has the same problem.  It solved the editable list with a
list editor that also lets the user move the items up and down.  Take a
look at /apps/panel/default_setup/general to see an example.  What I
don't like is I would like to edit the comma-separated list directly.

I use glade, and sometimes I want to assign a handler that is used by
another object.  Sometimes I create the handle before I create the
widget in glade.  The list editor could provide a combo-box-entry above
the list of assigned handlers.  The combo-box-entry lists the signal
handlers already used in the glade project, then the handlers from my
source headers.  I could type my handler directly into the entry, press
Enter, and see the handler added to the bottom of the list.

> It also doesn't show the widget class that each signal
> belongs to (GtkButton, GtkBin, GtkContainer, etc.)
>
> One way to add the widget class will be to make the
> widget class a parent of the signals that it contains.
>
> One way to add several signal handlers to the same
> signal is to make the signals a parent of signal
> handlers.
>
> But if we do that, we finish having a 3 level tree.

I don't think I have an issue with three levels deep if that also
illustrated the inheritance hierarchy.  If the view showed the chain of
handlers through the chain of objects in their execution order, I would
have a better understanding our how my app will operate.