Re: [Usability] Getting rid of Open and Save entirely?

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 17:49 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > I don't think GNOME needs a FO dialog.  I use nautilus to open
> > documents, and drag-and-drop to open files in an existing application.
> > In the singular case of epiphany (which doesn't permit DnD), I type
> > ctrl+o, then drag the file to that dialog.  Gnome apps need only display
> > a Nautilus browser window instead of introducing a new set of rules in a
> > dialog.
> I think Davids mockup fits this description beautifully

But why _another_ Nautilus window and even a dialog one? We already have
browser windows and folder windows, that should be confusing enough. :)
What's the real benefit of such a dialog over a real window?
I experimented with an "Open Folder" item in my text editor and it seems
very useful. See this screenshot to get the idea:
If the "Open Folder" item is activated, it will bring the PythonGame
folder to the front (or open it).
This way the object metaphor is not broken (unlike if you use a
navigational window or dialog) and it's still very easy to access other
documents in the same folder.