Re: [Usability] Getting rid of Open and Save entirely?

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 17:49 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > I don't think GNOME needs a FO dialog.  I use nautilus to open
> > documents, and drag-and-drop to open files in an existing application.
> > In the singular case of epiphany (which doesn't permit DnD), I type
> > ctrl+o, then drag the file to that dialog.  Gnome apps need only display
> > a Nautilus browser window instead of introducing a new set of rules in a
> > dialog.
>
> I think Davids mockup fits this description beautifully
> http://www.sipsolutions.de/open-save-mockup.png

But why _another_ Nautilus window and even a dialog one? We already have
browser windows and folder windows, that should be confusing enough. :)
What's the real benefit of such a dialog over a real window?
I experimented with an "Open Folder" item in my text editor and it seems
very useful. See this screenshot to get the idea:
http://liebesgedichte.net/Temp/scratch.png
If the "Open Folder" item is activated, it will bring the PythonGame
folder to the front (or open it).
This way the object metaphor is not broken (unlike if you use a
navigational window or dialog) and it's still very easy to access other
documents in the same folder.

Daniel