Re: [Usability] Re: Suggestion for the actual UI of GTK+'s New FileSelector

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 12:00, Uno Engborg wrote:
> Sean Middleditch wrote:
> er button in an Open
> >dialog?  Why isn't anyone looking into dialogs dedicated to something
> >besides Opening files?  The dialogs and features necessary to Select
> >Folders or Save Files should be different to reflect the fact they are
> >different operations and have different needs.
> >
> >Seriously, if you're opening a file, what in the name of goodness do you
> >need a New Folder button for?  ;-)
> >

> >>Thanks
> >>

> Perhaps this is some sort of influence from windows. Some windows users
> like to
> use the file dialog as some sort of mini explorer/Nautilus  to move
> rename, and
> delete files by just open a file dialog on a crowded desktop.
> The possibility to do drag & drop inside the file dialog is quite cool
> actually
> even though most windows users are probably not aware of it.

This is described as a problem with the Windows file dialogs, to be
honest.  The file dialog isn't a file manager.  It's not supposed to
be.  And to be honest, while I agree GNOME should re-use good ideas from
other systems, copying a bloody stupid idea just for familiarity *is* a
problem.  If we want file-management in the dialog, just pop-up Nautilus
and get rid of the dialog altogether.

(sidenote: sorry if I sound a little aggressive, but today is being
stressful at work.  my complete apologies if I offend anyone.)

> /uno
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.