Re: [Usability] Re: Suggestion for the actual UI of GTK+'s New FileSelector

Sean Middleditch wrote:

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 05:27, Tiago Cruz wrote:
Em Qua, 2004-01-07 às 13:04, Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias escreveu:

I've made a "fake usability test" (because of no real implementation)
with ten mates, (two of them have no or little computer experience), of
your initial mock-up, (http://www.osnews.com/img/5582/filesel-wide.png)
versus http://www.gnomepro.com/gtk-file-sel2.png
Hello!

I'm new in this list... :-)

I liked of http://www.gnomepro.com/gtk-file-sel2.png, but I think with
the buttons "New folder" and others can stay in top of window.

Again, I have to say - *WHY* is there a New Folder button in an Open
dialog?  Why isn't anyone looking into dialogs dedicated to something
besides Opening files?  The dialogs and features necessary to Select
Folders or Save Files should be different to reflect the fact they are
different operations and have different needs.

Seriously, if you're opening a file, what in the name of goodness do you
need a New Folder button for?  ;-)

Thanks
Perhaps this is some sort of influence from windows. Some windows users like to use the file dialog as some sort of mini explorer/Nautilus to move rename, and
delete files by just open a file dialog on a crowded desktop.
The possibility to do drag & drop inside the file dialog is quite cool actually
even though most windows users are probably not aware of it.

/uno