Re: [Usability] Suggestion for the actual UI of GTK+'s New FileSelector

Steven Garrity wrote:
The button-clickable path navigation is VERY interesting. This is really powerful. However, it's something that should maybe be a GTK widget - so it could be used elsewhere. Also, careful thought would have to go into dealing with really long paths.

I agree completely about the clickable paths being a good thing. The button look of these in these:

  http://www.gnomepro.com/gtk-file-sel2.png

...mockups bothered me a bit. An idea that occurred to me was to use something that looked like links on a webpage for this. Something like:

  / tigert / My Documents / Photographs

...where the initial slash, and than each of the three directories was something like an underlined link.

I don't know, perhaps this is a bad idea - I just wanted to toss it out there. Also, I wanted to voice my opinion about how great "Suggestion X4" in the above mockup looks. I think the usability of it would be great.

--
Paul Joseph Thompson
captbunzo squirrelmail org