RE: [Usability] Re: Suggestion for the actual UI of GTK+'s NewFileSelector

> I honestly do not see the big deal for this window not be more long
> horizontally because this is usually the shape most
> preference panels have,
> so it is not like it came from another planet or something.
> I personally believe that the current design is intuitive and
> follows a
> logical order of doing things. Please read towards the bottom
> of my article,
> I just added three new paragraphs explaining a bit more of
> the logic that
> led me to this kind of design.
>
> > One obvious problem is that if a user expands the window vertically,
> > it's not clear which area will get the extra space
>
> Indeed. However with the shortcut list being on top and
> having both columns
> and rows, it might be a good decision to take this: Resize the file
> selection area for vertical window resizes and resize both when doing
> horizontal resizing. And of course more shortcuts will be
> shown if a user
> resizes the shortcut area using the seperator. In the
> vertical shortcut
> listing as in Erick's and Tigert's, the list will only be benefit from
> vertical resizes. My suggestion can benefit from both.
>
> Please read the update on the article for more.

I read the article, and like Tigert's original mock-up here:
http://tigert.gimp.org/files/screenshots/filesel-tig2.png

But Slashdot reports another few mock-ups here (which I like better):
http://www.gnomepro.com/gtk-file-sel2.png

Personally, I prefer the Favourites on the left hand side, not the top.  People are used to that and will adapt to it quickly because it is similar to other OS's file selectors.

I like the new Path Finder idea, but I dislike the placing of the buttons in this screenshot (Suggestion 3):
http://www.gnomepro.com/gtk-file-sel2.png

The "New Folder", "View as List", "Show All Files" buttons should not be next to the "Open" and "Cancel" buttons IMO, it looks messy.  They should perhaps be above the Path Find buttons.  Plus, both vertical and horizontal separators should go.

The "Drag & Drop Folders Here to Add." item should only be in the list once, not as many times as it takes to fill the list.

It would be interesting to see what the Path Finder buttons would look like underneath the list.  Again, I'm thinking those buttons and the column buttons together is a tad messy, but I could live with it :)

Just my thoughts,

Regards,
Martyn