Re: [Usability] Double-click in notification area?

On Fri, 2004-27-08 at 04:50 +0200, Uno Engborg wrote:
> Ryan McDougall wrote:

> >While we are on topic, I'd like to register my supreme dislike for
> >double-clicking. No doubt the UI problems posed by it are well known to
> >you, but is there any intention of defaulting GNOME to single click?
> >

> Please don't default to single click. Microsoft tried that when they
> introduced their Active Desktop and failed
> horribly. Almost nobody used it.  Perhaps this was due to since long

I'm sorry Uno, but it seems your whole argument is that its not nice to
relearn old habits.

The arguments for changing the default is that its hard to do, and
completely redundant 90% of the time. People with poor motor skills find
it impossible. It makes very little sense what should be single or
double clicked. I watch in amazement as my mother, and practically every
person over 40 double-click on every GUI element just in case they have
to. etc. etc.

I could really go on, and on, but I'd rather hear a good reason why its
a bad default. Microsoft abandoned it doesn't carry much weight with
me.

> Regards
> Uno Engborg

Cheers,