Re: [Usability] Double-click in notification area?

On Thu, 2004-26-08 at 22:28 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 11:14 +0900, Ryan McDougall wrote:
>
> > While we are on topic, I'd like to register my supreme dislike for
> > double-clicking. No doubt the UI problems posed by it are well known to
> > you, but is there any intention of defaulting GNOME to single click?
>
> By "GNOME" I presume you mean Nautilus?  There is one problem posed by

Actually I mean all of GNOME, but I guess the principle parts are
Nautilus and GTK+. Currently I run Nautilus on single click, and the
only place where I have any problems is the GTK+ file chooser, where I'm
still required to do lots of double clicking.

> single click, be it in the file manager or other UI elements (like a
> list).  Namely, how do you differentiate between selection and
> activation?  For the file manager icon view, it's solvable - selection

This is a good question, but one must remember double clicking came from
the one button Mac. In practise I always right-click to select something
since that will select the item *and* give you a context menu. After all
there is NO use of selecting something without wanting to perform some
operation on it immediately there-after.

> must always be done by rubber banding, for example, or keyboard
> controls.  For something like a list view (be it the file manager, my
> inbox in evolution, etc.) how can you select an entry using the mouse
> without activating/opening it?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but to select and act on a item
without "activating" (double click action) it, use right mouse button.
To select a lot of things, use the shift key and left or right click.

In daily usage I have no problems whatsoever, so maybe you can point out
some examples of things you can do with double-click, that I can't with
single?

Cheers,
Ryan