[Usability] Double-click in notification area?

Hi,

Just wondering about something that I think is an inconistency in the
HIG. The current HIG (2.0 as well as 2.1 working draft) states that
notification area icons should perform their default action when
doubleclicked.
Isn't that a bit inconsistent with the rest of the desktop / panel UI?
Currently the vast majority of of elements on the panel (workspace
switcher, launchers, applets, notification icons) can be operated by
single clicking the left mouse button. Toolbars work the same way. The
only exception I'm aware of is the nautilus filemanager if set to use
doubleclicks. Every other icon can be single-clicked to activate it's
function. So, my question: Why are notification icons now required to
use double-clicks?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Regards,
Ronny.