Re: [Usability] Double-click in notification area?

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 11:14 +0900, Ryan McDougall wrote:

> While we are on topic, I'd like to register my supreme dislike for
> double-clicking. No doubt the UI problems posed by it are well known to
> you, but is there any intention of defaulting GNOME to single click?

By "GNOME" I presume you mean Nautilus?  There is one problem posed by
single click, be it in the file manager or other UI elements (like a
list).  Namely, how do you differentiate between selection and
activation?  For the file manager icon view, it's solvable - selection
must always be done by rubber banding, for example, or keyboard
controls.  For something like a list view (be it the file manager, my
inbox in evolution, etc.) how can you select an entry using the mouse
without activating/opening it?