Re: [Usability] Re: Menu order.

ti, 2004-08-10 kello 16:01, Patrick Costello kirjoitti:
> I also often look at the German and Spanish versions of the GNOME desktop,
> for comparisons. When I change languages, I >>never<< expect to see menu
> items in the same place. I just follow the alphabet, and I find the menu
> item I am looking for.

That works as long as you stop to read the labels. After some time,
one starts remembering the menu order and navigate it by memory, only
glancing at the whole of the menu and icons to locate the correct
entry.

A nice example of this motoric/shape-based memory is the fact that
I have correctly estimated the location of one frequently opened
dialog (not in GNOME, thank god) and clicked OK on it before it
was fully drawed.

I don't really read the labels on the menu items anymore, I just
open the menu, throw my mouse in the anticipated location of the
submenu/item and if it seems to be the right place (correctly shaped
submenu or a familiar icon), act accordingly.

As for wich menu ordering is better, I don't know. If measured by the
stability of the location of menuitems, the pre-meditated list wins,
but for one-language situations (probably the majority) and
discoverability I'd vote for the alphabetical order.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi