Re: Close vs. Exit? [Was: Re: [Usability] GNOME UI principle: All applications should saveinternal state? ]

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 07:15, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 19:15 +0400, Andrei Yurkevich wrote:
> >
> > I think that saving application state only makes sense if the application
> > has been terminated (but not closed by user). For example, when the browser has
> > been showing some page and you logoff without shutting down the browser.
> > Otherwise, if you close the application manually there is no point to
> > restore application state unless you ask the application to (selecting some
> > menu item?)
> >
> > cheers,
> > Andrei
> >

> Ah, the old Close vs. Quit dichotomy! Maybe we can finally differentiate
> between the two with regards to application state: Close means "I don't
> want to see this document any more." Quit means "I'm leaving the this
> "workspace" temporarily to go do other things, but when I come back I
> expect everything as I left it." The technical details about what gets
> loaded or removed from memory, or whether a process starts or get
> terminated, it totally irrelevant from Close/Quit and is left up to the
> app developer.

hmmm, but then why should you close/quit/alft-f4/whatever that
application?
isn't it preferred to just minimze it or send it to a different
workspace?

is  this quit-temporarily feature needed anymore in the age of
multitasking enviroments?
gabor