Re: Close vs. Exit? [Was: Re: [Usability] GNOME UI principle: All applications should saveinternal state? ]

> hmmm, but then why should you close/quit/alft-f4/whatever that
> application?
> isn't it preferred to just minimze it or send it to a different
> workspace?

ideally yes but in reality most applications are not perfectly free of
memory leaks and do still take up considerable resources while minimized
and there is a benefit in closing them down completely.  so yes
applications do still need quit (and I dont see this going away anytime
this decade).

the way i see it is turning applications on and off would be less of an
issue if as suggested in this thread more effort is made to maintain any
relevant settings/state and also if applications were faster to start up
(sub 5 seconds or thereabouts).

- Alan