Re: [Usability] GNOME UI principle: All applications should saveinternal state?

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 02:58, gabor wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 02:58, Ryan McDougall wrote:
>
> i also think in many cases it makes sense (for example mail clients)...
> but not everywhere . and it's not just the case of system monitoring
> tools.
>
> for example it would irritate me VERY much if epiphany would restore the
> last visited page(s) (tabbed browsing) everytime i start it.
> there is a reason why i have closed epiphany. it is because i do not
> want to see the webpage anymore.

I think that saving application state only makes sense if the application
has
been terminated (but not closed by user). For example, when the browser has
been showing some page and you logoff without shutting down the browser.
Otherwise, if you close the application manually there is no point to
restore application state unless you ask the application to (selecting some
menu item?)

> and the same also for gimp. and imho for many other apps.

something like a "restore last session" item in "File" menu.

cheers,
Andrei