Re: [Usability] Nautilus annoyment (my first post)

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 12:29 +0200, Soren Hauberg wrote:
> Hi
> This is my first post, so please don't kill me if this is the wrong list :-)

I'll try not to kill you. ;) At usability we usually talk about how to
use a program on a more abstract or academic level, or about usability
issues that might be serious or controversial. (please don't take this
as an official definition!) What you are describing sounds like plain
old uncontroversial bugs. :)

In the future you might consider sending this to the nautilus list
mailto:nautilus-list gnome org where the nautilus maintainers live.

> I installed gnome 2.6 a couple of days ago and I love it, but some
> things in nautilus really bugs me, which is why I'm writting this mail.
>
> I can open a folder and close the parent folder by holding shift while
> double clicking. But I can't seem to figure out how to go to the parent
> folder (from the newly opened folder) and close the new folder. If I
> press backspace the parent folder opens - so I would like it if I could
> hold shift and press backspace. This should close the current folder and
> open the parent. The same should be possible when using the the little
> widget in the bottom left corner of a nautilus window.

Sounds like a reasonable feature request to me, so you should search
bugzilla.gnome.org to see if there is an existing bug already filed, and
if not add one yourself describing the feature you want.

> Hope this makes sense (english isn't my first language)
> /Søren Hauberg

Better English than many native speakers. ;)

> P.S. When using single click in nautilus, holding shift down doesn't
> open a folder and closes it's parent - is this a bug?

I can confirm this doesn't work. Sounds like another feature request to
me, but you should check nautilus-list or bugzilla first.

Cheers,
Ryan