Re: [Usability] File Chooser Dialog

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:31:12 -0400
Rodney Dawes <dobey free fr> wrote:

> Il gio, 2003-09-18 alle 21:04, Shaun McCance ha scritto:
> > On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 10:32, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > > Yay. I got tired of seeing all the mails about the GtkFileChooser.
> > > And, so, I am sending the mockup that I made.
> > >
> > > http://www.gnome.org/~dobey/gtk-filesel-mockup.png
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > The 'Help' button would probably also be gone, since the help
> > > system is way above GTK+ (ugh).
> >
> > Why not have the help button be optional (off by default, since
> > there's no reasonable default action), and provide a means for the
> > application to hook a callback function to it?  The help button
> > could be useful for explaining things like extra options your
> > application puts in the file dialog.
>
> Applications shouldn't be shoving extra crap in the dialog.

What is considered to be extra crap?
Is a preview extra crap?
Are options for how to open or save a file extra crap? I believe that
such options are needed. If they are not placed in the dialog, then the
application needs to show an additional dialog for those options. Do you
consider that to be better (I don't)? Another alternative is to place
those options among the applications preferences, but most users will
probably not find it and make use of it then.