[Usability] Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox tray icon - again

topOn Thu, 2003-08-28 at 20:34, Colin Walters wrote:

> 1) It's not (total) crack, at least for applications like music players
> which you use for a few seconds to pick a song and then want out of your
> hair.

Agreed, very handy.

> 2) I think it's a bad idea to do this on left click.  It should happen
> via a context menu where the user has some clue about what's going on.
> Also, I think it would be good to change the tray icon somehow to let
> the user know the window is hidden.

Here I must disagree. The reason this feature is useful is that it's a
quick way to show/hide the window. Hiding this feature away in a context
menu entirely defeats the purpose.

Why not simply have left-click minimize the window? This way users with
a regular task list can still restore the window easily. More advanced
users that really want the window off the task list can use a utility
like devilspie to hide it. It shouldn't even matter that such a utility
hides the window from the task list even when the window isn't
minimized, because they'll know they can (or at least should) be able to
bring RB to attention by left-clicking the notification icon.