Re: [Usability] Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox tray icon - again

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 07:35, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 04:36, Sean Harshbarger wrote:
>
> > Personally I think this is something we should try and resolve with the
> > HIG team. I do not see anything in regards to tray/notification use in
> > the HIG proper. As many have said, gaim uses its own behavior.
>
> There's a section in the draft HIG about this, although it's very much a
> a placeholder-- expect it to be revised quite a lot before long :)

Cool, I definitely think this needs to be standardized.

> One rule of thumb that I've proposed in the past is that if the
> actions[1] you can perform on any particular n-area icon are any more
> complex than "open some window that's directly related to this icon"
> (e.g. mail folder containing new email, printer queue for print job),
> then you're probably looking at something that should be an applet
> instead.

Ok.  "Completely hide this window and remove it from my tasklist" does
sound more complex than "open some window".

Anyways though, for now I've decided that consistency is the most
important thing, since both the GNOME CD player and Gabber at least have
this hiding behavior on left click.  Once we come up with a solid
consensus on this, we should fix all the apps at once.