Re: [Usability] Some interesting user feedback

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 13:28, Dan Winship wrote:
> After an application crashes is not a good time to be asking the user to
> help us. We want to emphasize how filing a bug report will help *them*.
>
>         The application "$APPNAME" has crashed.
>
>         If you would like to send a bug report to the developers of this
>         application, click "Send Bug Report" below to open the Bug
>         Reporting Assistant, which will generate a detailed crash report
>         and help you send it to the right place.

Yeah, I like that.

> Another thing that could be cool would be a "check for a new version"
> button (with associated explanatory text) that would run red-carpet /
> apt-get / rhn / whatever for you to see if there was a new version of
> the package. (libgnomeui would just have stubs, which the various
> packagers could then plug their systems into.)

This one has been discussed at some length- eventually, gnome needs a
package update/abstraction layer somewhere. But this is not the place or
the time, I don't think. ;)

> Oh, and the current crash dialog includes the PID of the crashed
> application, which is useful for developers (so you can go to a terminal
> and attach gdb to the right process easily). Keeping that information
> somewhere would be nice, even if it was somewhere less prominent, like
> the titlebar, or in a "Details" pane a la gconf errors.

Oh, /that/ is why it is there. Makes sense, but yeah, needs to be less
prominent somehow.

Luis