Re: [Usability]Re: Toolbar editor

Ray Strode wrote:

I was pretty excited about the toolbar code that was presented lately
and considered to include it into The GIMP.

I assume you're talking about my toolbox code.

The toolbar I was proposing looked as outlined by the HIG and noone

out there liked it.

Hmm. Maybe this should be brought up on the usability list, so the design can be changed to reflect what people will like to use.

Arguments against it were that it uses too much screen estate

Well, this might actually be a problem specific to my version. The little button things in my initial version were much larger than the mockup in HIG. I'm going to devote sometime today to redo my code to use Mark's new disclosure widget, which should make the toolbox take up less vertical screen space.

users seem to prefer to see all tools visible at the same time.
Noone of the people I asked said that they would want to hide
particular groups of tools.

Hmm. This should be brought up with the usability people. I agree, if no one has any desire to ever hide any tools, then there really is no need for hide buttons.

Tool grouping was considered to be a good thing but everyone disliked the labels since they use too much space.

Again, this is probably a problem of with my incomplete implementation. Did you show them the mockup from the actual HIG? And if so, did they still think that labels took up too much space?

Well the labels provide more than just the ability to hide and show tools. They also give the user visual indication of what the tools in a given set generally do. This may not be important to hardcore gimp users, but for occasional users (such as myself) the labels would most likely be handy.

dave